Book Boners [July Edition]

7:55 AM



Since I stopped working, I make a trip to the library nearly every day to look at the Boomerang section, get my books and see what else is available.  My holds list is exploding; so much so that I can no longer put anything else on hold because every time I try to reserve something, I get "user has exceeded hold limit".  WTF, there's a hold limit?  Rude.

What's a girl to do?

In any case, I read some good and not so good books these past few weeks:



Kill Shot 3.5/5.  Not as good as the first novel but not bad either; great action as always.  If you want a good CIA/spy novel with lots of action and a good plot, the Mitch Rapp series is a good choice.

Extreme Measures 3.5/5.  Same review as the book above. Good action but series books like this tend to get formulaic if you read too many.  I tend to turn to this series when I need a little break between the heavy stuff I read.

One True Loves 3.5/5.  I've been hearing a lot about TJR books and this one was pretty good. It's not my usual genre of book to read but it was a light and fast 'beach' read.  The story was alright, a little predictable but still a pretty decent read.

Carve the Mark 4/5.  Goodreads members gave this book crappy reviews but I think it had everything to do with the hard-to-pronounce names of the characters and planets. Once you get past the difficult names, the story itself is actually pretty good.  I'm always up for a good dystopian novel and this one kept me turning the pages.

Right Behind You 4/5.  Grabbed this off the Boomerang shelf at my library and this didn't disappoint.  I'd never read any of Lisa Gardner's books but this murder/mystery/whodunnit is as good as it gets.

Currently Reading:  

DNF:

The Women in the Castle.  It got such rave reviews and mentioned that those who liked The Nightingale would enjoy this book #lies.  The characters were boring and the story was flat.  Returned it after 4 chapters.

The Only Child.  It seemed boring; I skimmed a few pages and nothing jumped out.

Before the Fall.  Boring, flat characters and the writing was just 'meh'.  Returned after 4 chapters.

You Might Also Like

23 comments

  1. I love TJR simply because her books are so easy to digest. I also like the little nuances of human life she gives to her characters... like she will sometimes have a metaphor that makes me go "YES that is EXACTLY what that is like!"

    I started Before the Fall last year and never finished. I heard it gets better but it's hard to make the time for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hold list is always full too, so frustrating when you really want to add something else. I just added Right Behind You to my list-- I'm back in the mood to read a few thrillers again. I didn't realize Veronica Roth had a new book/series out, but I'm definitely intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes on Before I Fall - I just saw I had that on my kindle & was going to start reading it.I may wait till there's nothing else.

    Funny you said One True Loves was predictable - I had no idea which way that story was going to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love TJR books, as you probably know. Glad you enjoyed One True Loves. I think you will enjoy her newest one! I don't think I'd like Before the Fall either - life is too short for books that aren't holding your interest!! Carve the Mark is on my list for someday as are Lisa Gardner's books!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finished Before the Fall but it didn't really get any better for me. I know, why finish it, right? It wasn't bad enough for me to stop but wasn't great, either. I have some TJR books on my to read list but haven't tried them yet because they are not my usual genre, either. I want to read the Veronica Roth book. She wrote Divergent, right? I enjoyed that series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL - if I can't pronounce something in a book, I just make up a name for them and use it through the whole book. Definitely not a reason to not read something. Adding it to the list, b/c you guys have never steered me wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always enjoy a good series but sometimes their formula gets a bit old, so you gotta have some space inbetween them. I have not read One True Loves but I loved The 7 Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and think you would really like that one. I have not read Right Behind You but I read Find Her a month or two ago by Lisa Gardner and really enjoyed it. It's really messed up and dark but good. Carve the Mark sounds interesting. I'll add it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read anything by TJR, but I think I'd like to start with "The Seven Husbands of..."
    Looks like you had a good month of reading overall. That's hilarious that you've reached the limit on library holds :D I currently have The Handmaid's Tale on request. I put it on hold over a month ago... There are still +25 people in front of me. Ughhhhh. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have Right Behind You on my list. Sounds like I need to get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a huge Veronica Roth fan so I'll have to check out Carve the Mark! It sounds interesting, and so rude that people gave it a bad review because of the hard to pronounce names!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read Before the Fall on a plane. I didn't love it but it was a good way to pass the time. His work on Fargo is exponentially better.

    I'm glad you enjoyed TJR. She's a good brain break from all the heavy stuff

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to read One True Loves! I read this with my Goodreads open and just added so many to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wait, it's been a while since I have blogged or read blogs. You quit working? I am going to have to go back through your posts! Whoa!

    On a bookish note, I will have to check out Right Behind You! I have added a few books to my "to read" pile lately and have to get through those real quick before adding more :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have intentions of reading Before the Fall soon. As in, it is sitting on my "on deck" book shelf. I wonder what I'm going to think.
    I read a Lisa Gardner book ages ago. Don't remember what one, but I have the feeling I liked her writing. I probably should pick her up again.
    You stopped working?! What?! The things I've missed in blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read about 5 books of the Vince Flynn series and then I needed a break. But, like you said, it's the perfect book when you need to step away from heavier stuff. Put Right Behind You on my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really need to read something by TJR. I hear good things. I've never read anything by the author of Carve Your Mark, but I know a lot of book bloggers had a problem with representation, etc.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I have been wanting to read One True Loves. Love a good beach read.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The last two months has been the worst in my life for reading. i probably read two books. No joke. So unlike me. I actually have Right behind you to read, glad you think its a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adding Right Behind You. You already know my dying love for TJR and One True Loves so no need to hash that out again here...

    ReplyDelete
  20. you didn't miss anything with before the fall in my opinion. i haven't read carve the mark, but i hated one of her other books so i've stayed away, but i might check that one out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've heard good things about that TJR book and I like fluffy reads quite a lot. #owningit I have heard "meh" things about Carve the Mark... but some of that was during the advance releases... and a lot of it was related to the fact that it seemed like the bad guys had dark skin and the good guys had white skin... or something like that? It may have been changed before publishing, or maybe I'm thinking of something else... obviously good not to write racist books whether intentionally or not... The premise sounds good though. XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  22. I totally ended up in the same place as you with The Women in the Castle. Blah. Also, I totally agree on One True Loves. Sometimes, I just like those easy reads that I can fly though.

    ReplyDelete