Weekending & Shizz [3-6]

  • March 06, 2017
  • By Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky
  • 22 Comments

+ Friday's acupuncture appointment was awesome, as always. After explaining my back troubles, my acupuncturist inserted a needle right into the epicenter of the trauma which startled me because it was a simultaneous painful and relieving feeling...hard to explain.  She stuck a bunch of needles into my lower and middle back as well as my shoulders, followed it with some cupping and my back feels so much better; even Saturday's muay thai class didn't cause as much pain as it usually does.  I have 4 more treatments lined up and fully expect to be healed by then.

+ Every Sunday we go to the inlaws for dinner and it's your typical european family dinner (aka enough food to feed a small city).  My FIL loves to pickle his own vegetables/fruits and yesterday we had something new: pickled cantaloupe!  The only pickled fruit I've had was watermelon (so good) and this was equally delicious - sweet yet tart. 


+ I like to take at least 1 hour every weekend after errands to read or do something quiet...which is sort of hard to do with an 8yr old running around so we've designated 1hr hour of quiet time for the family to each do what we please so the husband usually goes downstairs to fiddle with his bike things, I read or crochet and Kayla reads, draws or plays in her room.  

This weekend it was wine and my book but guys, I'm struggling with this. I know it's supposed to be a murder/mystery and while the plot seems so good and there are parts that are good, there are other parts that are so slow.... like, get on with the fucking story already.  I've invested so much time in this book that I feel like I have to keep reading because I think at any point, things will be revealed that will blow me away and make all this time I've spent reading it totally worth it. 

What angers me even more is that I bought this book but I'm also half disappointed so I'm debating - should I return it? should I keep going?  It's not available at my library (at all) which is partially why I still have it #firstworldproblems.


+ My muay thai gym started a new parent and tot program - parents can workout with their kids!  Here, Kayla and I were doing hi-five pushups.


+ Baking on Sunday afternoons is one of my favourite things to do. I turn on some music, go through my recipe box and pick the things I want to make for the week.  

This week I'll be eating paleo carrot & walnut loaf...one of my favourite breads to have for breakfast.


+ Kayla came down with a mild stomach virus on Thursday so she spent Friday at home and will be at home this morning.  Poor thing had the runs all weekend but she's feeling much better now. It was actually nice not to have to rush around to get her ready for school this morning but instead, we cuddled and talked...one of my favourite things to do when she wakes up and jumps into my bed.

+ My husband leaves for his cycling training trip to California on Thursday ... which means I have to get up at 4:15 am to drive him to the airport for 5am and hopefully make it back on time to get Kayla ready/drop her off at school and then leave for work....not to mention the weather forecast predicts rain AND snow that morning.  

How was your weekend?

You Might Also Like

22 comments

  1. My husband has a lot of back pain and I have been trying to convince him to try acupuncture. That is great the relief that it has brought to you! Oh bummer about the book, it is frustrating when it is hard to want to keep reading. Hopefully it picks up soon. I also hope that Kayla is feeling better! Both my husband and two of my boys got the stomach flu over the weekend which has been awful. I don't think I have ever cleaned so much in my life. So far I am doing okay... fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm that loaf sounds good - I'm going to give it a try! We have quiet time on weekends too, which is especially necessary for me right now because my almost-3-year-old doesn't nap at home anymore & needs a bit of rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the one hour of quiet time routine. Especially on the weekends! We do dinner at my grandparents every Sunday, too. Never had pickled cantaloupe (or watermelon), though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. UGH... hope Kayla is feeling better & you stay germ free!!!!
    You make me so badly want to find an acupuncturist around here!!!
    Pickled Cantaloupe? Never heard of it & cant even imagine. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pickled cantaloupe sounds really interesting. I've never had pickled fruit before but I love pickled vegetables. Ugh. I hate it when a book is both really good (in parts) and really slow. I especially hate it when it's a book I bought too. Boo! Hope Kayla is feeling better and I'm glad your back is on the mend too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pickled watermelon, had it for the first time over the holidays at a cocktail party. That cantaloupe looks yummy too. Totally making that bread this week! Have a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Family quiet time rocks!

    Deciding to finish a book or not is personal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that they have workouts with parents and kids. Such an awesome way to get kids involved in their fitness and have a little fun. I love the idea of an hour of quiet time each weekend. I might have to make that a thing when Zoe is a little older. Right now it is called her nap time. LOL. When she decides to take one. ugh. Glad to hear kayla is feeling better. Tummy stuff is the worst!

    ReplyDelete
  9. An hour of quiet time is such a great idea! Hope Kayla is feeling better. Having the stomach bug is no joke.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad Kayla is feeling better now, that's always such a bummer! I love that you bake so much. I'd like to get more into that! Quiet hours are necessary for sure! I finally finished a high fantasy read I'd been at for a while (SO LONG, like length wise!!) then I read something fluffy. I think Outlander is next, but it's also long... so I'm avoiding it just a little. Glad your back is feeling better! :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope Kayla feels better soon, that stomach bug is no fun! I really need to try pickled fruit- that's completely new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had pickled fruit of any kind, but it sounds really good. I'll have to add that to my spring list. Hope you don't catch what kayla had.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love that one hour of quiet time thing. I could totally use it, but Caleb is not old enough to understand or grasp that concept yet. Ha! LOVE that you and Kayla worked out together!

    ReplyDelete
  14. the push-up pic is awesome! little bad asses! i like the idea of 1-hour quiet time. especially if it involves wine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never had pickled fruit before but it sounds really interesting! I'm glad that Kayla is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your weekend sounds productive and fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That stomach bug is running rampant lately I swear. Every week at school there seems to be a classroom hit by it--seems to be slowing down a bit now thankfully. Hoping Kayla feels better. Love the idea of the hour to yourselves--everyone needs some quiet time :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Early morning airport dropoffs are the worst.
    Implementing quiet time is something kids need to learn. Your kiddo will appreciate this down the road!
    However, with the book...I'm halfway through one I don't love. I paid $3 for it on Kindle. Then I have the sequel also because I assumed I'd love it (also $3). Do I keep going? Power through? I have no idea.
    So your problem is a common one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sunday baking is my favorite, and I need to channel you with an hour of quiet/downtime after running weekend errands <3

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't tell you how much I love reading about you doing acupuncture. My mom is an acupuncturist, have I told you that?! :) And I'm so glad to hear that you are getting relief. I have never had pickled fruit and now i'm seriously intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahhh, you guys are so awesome with your tandem workouts!! I've never heard of pickled cantaloupe, but I'd definitely try it. I'm really going to check out to see if there is an acupuncturist near me -- I could really use some lower back pain relief.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I need to get my ass into an acupuncturist. That sounds all kinds of wonderful. That walnut loaf bread cake thing. Woof. Get in my face.

    ReplyDelete