Summer lovin'

  • June 16, 2017
  • By Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky
  • 10 Comments

Hello, Summer!  I love the first few weeks of summer - hot weather, lots of sun and everyone's in a good mood.  While I love the sunshine and looking sun-kissed, I don't like the harmful rays because of cancer and wrinkles and I've said it many a times -- ain't nobody got time to look like a shrivelled up ballsack.

To prevent such things but still look like a golden goddess, I turn to self-tanners.  I've been using these in the last few years and they work great; not too dark, not orangey and a hint of colour once it dries.  Spray more frequently if you want to go really dark but typically, I use this twice a week and I maintain a nice, bronzed look.

It dries fast which is the best part because I don't have the patience to sit there and wait for it to dry; I spray this on after moisturizing, go pick out my clothes and/or apply my makeup) and then throw on my clothes....3 minutes tops.  I've never had any issues with this getting onto (and therefore, staining) my clothes.


The scent upon initial application isn't the best but it's not strong either and dissipates really fast so you're not constantly getting a whiff of it.  I like the glove better than the spray but I think they discontinued the glove since I can't seem to find it locally (ie. Walmart, Winners, my local drug store) *insert sad face here*.

FYI:  I've just purchased this on sale to try....Apparently, it's been tooted as "the James Bond" of self (spray) tanners.  Review to come shortly.

For nights out (or just wanting to look fancy), I lightly dust a powdered bronzer on my face and this one by Too Faced is amazing:


It's not summer unless I make and drink one of my favs - blended watermelon with a shot of lemon vodka.  Throw watermelon chunks, 1oz vodka and ice into a blender and blend until smooth.  Kick back and enjoy immediately.


On hot days, I don't like turning on the oven but I will for this delicious veggie dish - roasted brussel sprouts with lemon, toasted pine nuts and parmesan.


Summer isn't summer without a nice pair of shades to protect your eyes and my absolute favourite and 100% worth the $300 price tag are these bad boys:

I thought the sales guy was bullshitting me when he said he was 100% confident that these would be my favourite pair of sunglasses and he wasn't kidding - they're the best shades I've ever owned and I've had many (Chanel, Giorgio, Burberry, Ray Ban etc).  I can't even feel these on my face and the polarized lenses wipes out 99.9% of the glare, provides 100% protection against harmful UV rays and the clarity of the lenses is second to none.


So now I need some help from you wonderful bloggers:  What self tanner do you use for your face?  I have sensitive skin that is on the dry side and the ones I've tried (Lancome, Clarins Delicious Self Tanning) didn't work well with my skin (dried out my face!).  Any recos you can provide would be appreciated.

You Might Also Like

10 comments

  1. Hahahaha James Bond of self tanners huh? Can't wait to hear your thoughts! I'm in the market for one right now. Sprays make me nervous that I won't do it evenly. User error over here. Too Faced is my absolute favorite bronzer too. I have the one that smells like chocolate. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still a newbie to the self tanner game. I need to get on it though because i'm pasty white and look like a ghost when teaching. I'll try the brands you mentioned, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh that drink sounds good. I might have to do that... I'm pale pale pale! So I don't even attempt a tan fake or otherwise. But I'm cool with it. :) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's only 8:30 am in California so how wrong is it that I really want that watermelon drink? It sounds so good. And it's supposed to get hot this weekend. Grrrr.... I used to use self-tanner fairly religiously but have gotten lazy. Let us know when you find a good face self-tanner. They dry out my skin too and the application process never turns out well for me. I end up looking like Emperor Baby Fists, which is a horrible insult to Oompa Loompas everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that drink sounds amazing. I'm going to need to try out that too-faced bronzer. I'm always in the market for a bad ass bronzer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jan Marini Bioglycolic Sunless Self Tanner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen that self tanning glove before! I definitely need to check out the Bioderma one now to see if it lives up to the hype. I recently got a face self tanner made by Tanwise (at Sally Beauty Supply). It's not super dark so you have to apply a few layers but it's a lot lighter than other self tanners!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, I had one bad experience with self tanner and i'll be forever embracing my Casper status. Also, I'm on a mission to try that brussel sprout dish and that cocktail this week. I love all things watermelon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't use self-tanner so I have no recommendations. Sorry. I will forever be a Cullen family member and that's ok with me. haha. I just got polarized sunnies and I love them. I love how clear I can see out of them and they really do cut the glare out. The only think that bugs me is that sometimes I can't see the back up camera that well. But I can deal. For ears, I didn't have one, so..I just will have to do it myself. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never used self tanner on my face because my skin is irritated by practically everything, haha. I know another blogger used to swear by a Clarins product that you mix in with your moisturizer-- I can't think of the name of it though! That drink sounds delicious and so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete