DIY

Friday Five - My top 5 favourite cleaning (and environmentally friendly) hacks

  • June 23, 2017
  • By Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky
  • 14 Comments

1.  Clean your microwave with water and vinegar.  The easiest way to naturally clean your microwave:

  • 1/2 cup vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • microwaveable bowl/dish. I use my Pyrex measuring cup. 
  • some kind of wooden spoon (in my case, I use a wooden chopstick -- I heard it prevents explosions?)
-- Place mixture and wooden object into the center of the microwave.
-- Microwave on high for 5-10 minutes (depending on how dirty the microwave is).
-- Once the microwave turns off, let sit for 2-3 more minutes before opening the door.
-- Use a clean sponge or wash cloth to wipe away the grime.


2.  Use citrus peels to level up your dishwasher.  It's not the first time I've posted about this but when I use my dishwasher, I throw in some orange peels into the utensil rack before turning the dishwasher on....the heat will release the citric acid from the peels, degunking and deodorizing your dishwasher while making your dishes sparkly.  When you open your dishwasher, be prepared for the wonderful blast of citrus scent!

Note: any citrus peels will do - orange, lemon, lime or grapefruit.

3.  Use Borax to destink your clothes.  My most recent life-changing discovery, Borax is fucking awesome.  I've used it to remove the stink from my sports bras (finally something that works!), remove mold/mildew from my shower grout, degreased and cleaned my chrome range hood and an all-purpose cleaner for my kitchen.

Not only is Borax a great alternative to chemical house cleaners, but adding 1/2 cup to your regular laundry will boost cleaning power.


4. Use a steam cleaner to quickly and easily remove baked on grease from your oven.  My oven puts in a lot of hours during the year which means baked on grease all over the glass and interior. There's nothing more I hate than having to spend hours scrubbing that shit off so I turn to my trusty steam cleaner to do it for me - the super heated steam just melts all that crap away so all I have to do is just wipe with a clean sponge and voila! sanitized, shiny oven with zero chemicals used.


5. Deodorize and unclog your drain with baking soda and vinegar.  My favourite way to get rid of that gross stink from drains

  • 1/2 cup baking soda
  • 1 cup vinegar
  • 2 pots of hot boiled water, 1 cup very hot water
-- Pour 1 pot of boiled water directly into the drain.
-- Dump 1/2 cup baking soda into the drain, let sit for 5 minutes.
-- Pour vinegar and 1 cup of hot water into the drain; it will bubble.  Let that sit for 10 minutes or so while the other pot of water boils.
-- Flush with the last pot of water.

What are some of your favourite hacks? 

You Might Also Like

14 comments

  1. I love baking soda and vinegar in my sinks, I don't even bother with anything else. Leaves them so clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great tips. I do the microwave thing and love it. Can't wait to try the dishwasher trick. I use borax/sugar for ants just about every summer and in one dose they are gone. Never knew it could get the stink out. All of my tennis visors get the funk and it's near impossible to get out. Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to try the oven cleaner one. Mine is so awful, its embarrassing. I just want to get a new oven instead of tackling it to clean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, that citrus peel trick is genius. I can't wait to try that out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1 makes cleaning microwaves such a breeze. I am going to try the citrus peel in my dishwasher. I can see how that would work beautifully. Oh, I wish I had a steam cleaner because my oven door looks like your oven door and it is such a pain to clean. Grrrrr....

    ReplyDelete
  6. You reminded me how bad I need to clean both my dishwasher and microwave, well while we're at it let's throw in the laundry appliances and the oven too lol. Mind blown over the citrus peels! Definitely trying that this weekend :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must be doing something wrong or my microwave sucks because that cleaning hack does not work for me.

    I do love to use some vinegar to clean my washing machine and Keurig. I used to be afraid of something that can season my food and clean my appliances but now I just embrace it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooh- definitely trying the sink cleaner, citrus peel idea, and the microwave trick!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do number one but with water and lemon. I hate the smell of vinegar.

    Love the citrus peel in the dishwasher idea! I have some lemons and limes in my fridge right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that microwave hack! It works so well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh the citrus peel one is genuis! Doing that asap because my dishwasher needs some tlc in the odor department lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well I just favorited this page because I'm away this weekend but when I get back home this weekend, I am trying all of the tips!! Especially excited about the microwave and oven ones! My kitchen is going to look amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok Im trying that steam cleaner for my disastrous oven pans!!!! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm trying that microwave trick for sure!! And I love the baking soda and vinegar for the drain. I do it once a month and its GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete