Mother's Day things, sweet freedom, health stuff.

8:20 AM

You know what really sucks other than having to work on Mother's day?  Having to get up at 530am on Mother's Day to be in the office for 630am, having to work until 5pm and then being on stand-by for 3am this morning.  This left me exhausted and grumpy with massive headache that I had to bail out of a dinner with the inlaws yesterday.

My husband was so understanding about it that he went and got me some dinner, left with Kayla and for 3 hours, it was nothing but needed quiet in my house so I sat on my couch with wine, my book and drifted in and out of sleep until they came home.


On the work front -- guys. GUYS. It's done.

The project that has been chapping my ass for over a year is finally in.  They did the final deployment this morning and when I went to take a look, a huge smile spread across my face because there's something so satisfying seeing your hard work come to fruition.  Just 2 more weeks of normalization with a few small fixes and I'm done.

....which also translates to massive OT hours.


+ Kayla's sleep is still wacky that sometimes I think she's regressing to babyhood.  I've been going out of my mind trying to figure out why she's wakeful at night when before, she'd be out from 8pm-630/7am.  We've done a full eval - nothing wrong at school, having a great time with friends, no signs of being bullied, zero electronics (and by zero, I mean zero as in not even Saturday morning cartoons), doing well in her classes, eats well/clean and leads an active/healthy lifestyle so what the fuck could it be?!

In my desperate search for The Reasons why her sleep went to shit, I came across an article about magnesium deficiency and how low levels can cause disrupted sleep, restlessness, muscle cramps, anxiety and nervousness; everything that Kayla has been experiencing and if I'm being honest, I'm also experiencing these things minus the anxiety/nervousness....I've noticed that it's taking me a lot longer to fall asleep, stay asleep and go back to sleep if I wake up.

Upon researching magnesium rich foods (since I'd rather eat real food than take supplements), I realized that the only thing we eat on this chart are avocados but in controlled amounts so I can see why we would be suffering from low magnesium levels if that's what's actually happening.

(I'll also be honest and admit that I was really happy that dark chocolate was on this list so you know I'll be going out to get more of that because chocolate).

Since we're not going to eat enough of the above foods to boost our levels, we have to turn to supplements and further research indicated that this brand is the best one.

I also bought the adult version and we've been taking it for 2 days now.  I'll report our results by the end of the week.

By the way -- if you want to try it out, I found that this site sends free trial packs to US residents only ... which is pretty rude if you ask me.

+ Been really enjoying my book:

Things I'm looking forward to:
-- finally getting my hair done
-- my massage therapist is back from Thailand so I'll be seeing her soon
-- working from home come Wednesday to next Tuesday.

You Might Also Like

15 comments

  1. Having to work on Mother's Day as a mom is so rude, I mean, really?!?!? Glad you were able to get some rest and relaxation.

    Very interesting on the sleeping/magnesium. I suffer from bad sleep, really bad this year, guess I need to get back on my cal.mag supplements. I do love me some figs though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooohhh, forgot to write, I read somewhere that doing an epsom salt soak with warm water for the feet is supposed to help with sleep. Haven't done it yet, but thought I would share.

      Delete
  2. I started taking magnesium last month? Steph blogged about it and I was all lightbulb holy crap that's me. It's made a big difference. I could never take melatonin, it works the opposite for me, so the magnesium has been great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on finishing up the big project!! That must be such a relief. I started taking magnesium a few months ago and have also noticed a bit of a difference - nothing too crazy but I figure it's not going to hurt to keep taking it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are finishing up your project! I bet that feels awesome. Good luck with the supplements, I hope that they help!! Not being able to sleep totally sucks. XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for deployment!!!! That glass of wine was well deserved! I hope those supplements help Kayla sleep better!! Before I even read your comment below the picture I was like....all I see is eat more chocolate. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor girl. Have you spoken with a sleep therapist? Does Child sleep apena exist? Does she have sinus issues?
    I just looked up magnesium foods this morning myself because of muscle cramps & I too was excited for the excuse to eat Dark chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for project deployment! Boo on sleep issues for both you and Kayla! I'm definitely interested in hearing the results of your magnesium supplements. I used to be like Kayla, but for the past couple months, it's been harder to get to sleep and stay asleep. I'd been attributing it to getting older ... but maybe it's more than that. I don't eat a lot of magnesium rich food according to that chart either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that's really interesting about magnesium. I'm sure I'm deficient in that too. Hopefully you'll figure things out soon so she can get back on a good sleeping schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated Mother's Day! It sounds like it was a long and exhausting day of work, but hooray for your project being done & I'm glad you got some alone time to just rest at the end of the day. I hope the magnesium helps with the sleep issues with Kayla (& you).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope that your sleep schedules get back on track! Hell yeah to your work project being done! That must be such a relief!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is very interesting about the magnesium! I will have to look into that myself! Hope you all get back to sleeping well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm curious to see how the magnesium thing goes. I've been trying to pay more attention to what I put into my body and how I can get important nutrients. I've been paying attention to sugars (eating less) and protein (eating more), but lots of those mentioned foods are recommended for protein, too.

    Congrats on finishing up that project!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wait. you don't eat spinach?! omg i eat spinach every day. love that shit. i eat black beans and bananas too, but nothing else on that list. i'm with you, i'd rather eat foods vs take a supplement. however, sometimes it is necessary, and i totally have that exact (adult) supplement thing in my amazon cart, so good to know that's the one you got.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh sleep problems are the devil! I am so glad you are done with your project! I know how great that feels. I have another year to go on my current one but on the positive side... I have a job lol. My mother has been espousing the benefits of magnesium for years. Curious to see if it works for you! I take it because it helps regulate BP.

    ReplyDelete