Things I appreciate now that I'm older....

12:00 AM

Early bedtimes.  I used to be a night owl but that was mostly due to being out at the clubs and partying all the time.  Now that I'm older, I prefer to physically be in bed by 8pm, relaxing until lights out which is 930/945pm.  I also find that when I go to bed later than my regular bedtime (ie. past 1030pm), I feel like death the next day.

Early wakings.  Noon used to be the earliest I got up but that was back in the day when I partied hard.  Now I prefer to be up by 6am so I can get to my morning routine to start my day. I also feel so much more productive when I'm up early getting things done.

Predictable routine.  I find that as I get older, I need routine in my life to help me feel sane and calm.  I like knowing what's going to happen during any given day and when things go awry, I get a little frazzled.

Coffee.  I never drank coffee until I started working full time (23 years old) and even then, it was whatever the coffee truck had to get me through the day.

One of my favourite things is to find amazing coffee recommendations and the bolder, the better.  I'm a fan of medium and dark roasts, full of body with a slightly nutty taste.



Wine.  Back in the day,  cocktails were my drink of choice; the fruitier, the better.  I never even considered wine but now that I'm older, wine is my go to. I'm a white wine person; pinot grigio or riesling are my favourites.


Staying in.  Heading out to bars, being around crowds and just being out makes me tired.



What are some things you've learned to appreciate with age?

You Might Also Like

16 comments

  1. YES to staying in! And routines, and coffee and wine...and basically everything here! Yes yes yes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless a glass (err, bottle) of pinot grigio...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes to most, except wine, I don't drink it anymore and used to drink it a lot. I have a post like this in draft to put up around my birthday. 40 is looming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol it's funny - I was quickly scrolling my reader so I saw the title followed by 'early bedtimes' and thought 'Kathy' before I ever actually saw your blog name. I just knew. Completely agree, but no to the wine. I'm a beer girl, wine gives me headaches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you on every single thing.
    I never had my first cup of coffee until I was in my 30's... & now I'm like, WHY DID I WAIT???
    I also didn't appreciate exercise until I was older. To know that it keeps you better as you age? I wish I would have taken it more seriously younger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES - I feel like hell if I'm not asleep by 10, and most nights I'm in bed by 830 - fuck staying out late and being around people. PASS.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coffee and wine came to me in my mid twenties and I'm never looking back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't start drinking coffee until my mid 20's because I assumed my distaste for it as a child still held true. Wrong! LOL! Fruity drinks were my go-to and if I'm being honest, I still prefer them over wine or hard liquor but feel like a college girl asking for them at the bar. Granted, I never there because too old for the bar scene! Really, the only area I differ is that I am a night owl. I go to bed around midnight, although when I worked a 9-5 job, I was in bed by 10. :D I need my 8 hours of sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many of these- especially SLEEP!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Early bedtimes - yes! And, I'd add that I need more hours of sleep. I used to be able to handle 4 or 5 hours of sleep and still function normally. That is impossible for me to even consider nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can totally relate, though I'm still such a night owl. More like a movie night, book reading, etc. etc. night owl... but still. I have a hard time making myself go to sleep! Quality purchases are something I appreciate as I age, also legit friends. & my sister (who is also a friend.. :) ) XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  12. i am in bed between 8:30-9pm every night and (hopefully) asleep by 9:30. i can't handle staying up super late, i don't sleep in no matter what so i feel like shit on a stick if i don't get enough sleep. i am definitely all about getting up early, i used to sleep in till 10 or 11 and now i'm like wtf the day is already over by then! thankfully my body wakes up on its own at like 6 or 7 on weekends, and i get my ass up at 5 or 6 during the week. i am still no on coffee and i prefer cocktails to wine - but only because i drank a lot of wine on an empty stomach and basically gave myself alcohol poisining like 4 years ago. i'm trying to get back into wine though lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm right there with you on the early bedtime!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes to (almost) all of these! I still cannot get up early for the life of me as much as I try. I've always been a night owl but I have to go to bed early because feeling like death = no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. YES to all of this- except waking up early. Although, on the days I get up early I feel pretty darn good!

    ReplyDelete