Things I love - skin care

12:00 AM

*Face oils.  I cannot begin to tell you how amazing argan oil is. I have dry, sensitive skin that's prone to redness, irritation and inflammation. I used to have eczema and argan oil was the only thing that kept my skin hydrated and soft (or as soft as eczema-prone skin can be).  It's also reduced the fine lines around my eyes and allowed me to simplify my skincare routine since this pretty much does it all.


In recent months, I've added Rosehip oil to the mix.  Prior to turning 41, Rosehip did nothing but turn me into a lizard-faced bitch; as in my skin actually felt like rough scales!  But when I turned 40 and noticed a different texture to my skin (drier, less firm), I tried it again and this time around, my skin now loves it and do you know why? because at my age (41), skin begins to get dehydrated from hormones shifts, lowered collagen and elastin production and just plain age. Rude.  Now, Rosehip Oil is my friend - it's fantastic for dehydrated skin, has got TONS of fatty acids that your skin will love and because dehydrated skin/aging skin tends to be more dry (which appears as wrinkles/fine lines <-- no thank you!) this stimulating oil continuously exfoliates your skin to expose fresh new layers of your dermis.


Skin serums.  I've always been a fan of my local (and organic) Pure and Simple brand and this serum has been in my arsenal for years.  Like Rosehip oil, this is a "stimulating" serum so it's always working your skin to boost elastin and collagen for firmness and hydration.

I discovered the Strawberry Rhubarb serum a couple of months ago and after testing it out for a week, I noticed that my skin felt different....more smooth, more firm, more supple so now I combine both serum for powerhouse effects.


Exfoliator.  I only exfoliate once a week and for that, I use this amazing exfoliating (fine) powder that you mix with a few drops of water:

Because it doesn't contain any liquids, it will never expire. I've had this for over a year and it's still as good as when I got it. You only need a small amount of water to make this into a paste and then gently rub in circles to exfoliate your face. I have sensitive skin that's prone to redness and irritation and my face loves it!


Moisturizer.  I don't need a heavy moisturizer; my serums and face oils do all the heavy lifting so all I need my moisturizer to do is seal in all that goodness and protect my skin from the elements.  For that, I use this light lotion year round, twice a day:


Mask.  Depending on your skin type, different masks do different things and hydration is my #1 priority.  After exfoliating, I slather on this amazing hydrating mask, kick back and relax for 20 minutes with my book. It's my favourite Sunday night routine that prepares me for the week ahead.

Aside from the incredible scent, it's deeply hydrating and leaves my skin feeling soft and smooth as a baby's butt.


Cleanser.  I use both of these interchangeably because they're amazing and I can never decided which one to stick to.  They're amazing for dry, sensitive skin and gets everything off, even the most stubborn eyeliner (they also smell SO GOOD).


What are some of your favourite skin recommendations?

*Note about face oils:  everyone reacts differently.  Before you buy, test the oils on your skin!

linking up with Lauren and Bre

You Might Also Like

19 comments

  1. I've recently changed up my skin care products and routine and had planned on posting it too. I don't use oils because my skin is naturally oily and is worse with Guam's humidity. When I lived in Hawaii I used certain products but had to change it up when I started living on Guam since skin reacts differently to different temperatures and conditions.

    Serums are great and super effective. I have one of those derma roller things that I've been too scared to really use but since changing up my skincare routine and adding serums to the mix, I might just break it out soon to help my skin absorb the serums better.

    That exfoliating powder is something I'm gonna look into. I like that it lasts a long time so I can really get my money's worth and I personally like the fact that I'll be able to mix it together with my own two hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some argan oil in my desk drawer at work...for weird emergencies. Like dry skin or ya know to tame my cowlicks. hahah kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love reading about your skin care, because you have such amazing skin. I'm 33 and probably look way older -- I definitely need to follow some of your skin care advice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh good to know! I love hearing about new products. I use ACURE pretty religiously and love it. But my skin has always been a problem child. I definitely need to book it to the dermatologist this year. XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had some recommends. I'm horrible with face care. Any kind of oil, my face is one big zit. It can handle nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm on the hunt for a good mask. I'll have to look into your suggestion.
    I started using tea tree oil this winter to control the dryness. I don't need it all the time, but the super cold/dry days are a little better because of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want everything on your list. I love argon oil, it does everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am new to the face oil game but it was a serious life-changing event when I started using a facial oil every day! My skin looks so much better! Now I'm off to try basically everything else on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am totally trying the eminence serum now that I don't have to worry about what ingredients are harmful to baby :) Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've started using face oils too. Getting older kind of sucks. I was lazy with my skincare when I was younger and now I can't be because yikes - I noticed some fine lines around my eyes. Nope. Nope. Nope. I've seen Pure + Simple on lists before but wasn't sure if it was something you get stateside. I need to look into it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to pay more attention to my skin beyond basic moisturizing. I have never thought masks were a thing but so many people have posted about them lately. I at least need to grab one on my next Target trip if nothing else. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My face reacts to everything and I'm terrified of changing what I use (it's not the best stuff but it seems to be working and I have no reactions).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that exfoliator sounds awesome. I'm happy to hear that it doesn't go bad! I don't know if my face could handle the oils, but nice that they work so well for you.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes to amazing skincare products! I have been obsessed with my skincare routine lately. I have a handful of products that I use again and again. I really want to check out some of the things you shared!

    Also, I loved this linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been on the fence about adding organ oil to my skincare. I'm trying to simplify everything including the amount of products I hoard, so I'd love to find a good oil I can use for face, body, and hair. Good to hear another rave review for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely consider Argan oil then. It's pretty awesome.

      Delete
  16. A powder exfoliant sounds amazing. I'll have to try one out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You don't even want to hear about my skin care "regimen". You'd kick my ass all the way from Canada. Apparently I have been blessed with what everyone tells me is "great skin". I actually have a post like this in drafts. Maybe I'll fine tune it and hit publish haha

    ReplyDelete