Save vs splurge10:33 AM
Everyone knows I'm El Cheapo when it comes to a lot of things.
$20 for a shirt? GTFO my face with that bullshit.
$5 for shipping? FUCK YOU.
$30 sale price for pants? *throws it back on the shelf*.
I never used to be like this; I would have no issues dropping $1200 for a purse without blinking if I really liked it but now? I prefer to save that $1200 for a rainy day. I suppose age has something to do with it....do you find that as you get older, you get more frugal?
Things on the Save list.
- Clothes. Shit, I have clothes I still wear from the high school days. If it still fits and looks relatively decent, I'll wear it. I've been doing the whole "capsule wardrobe" thing since before it was a trend so all of my clothes match/can go together in any which way. They may have cost me very little but they're classic pieces that can be worn during any year, among any trend. By classic pieces, I mean I'll wear them and won't give a fuck what anyone thinks.
To save money on clothes, I'll wait for sales with discounts of 40% off or more, I'll shop in the Women's clearance section, I'll shop in the Girls section (my favorite thing to do) and also browse the Girls clearance section. The beauty of shopping in the kids section is not only the low 5% sales tax, but all the sizes that fit me (girls XL) are almost always available.
Remember these from the 90s?
Yep, I still have them and still wear them because fuck buying new clothes.
- Shoes. I'll wear the shit out of shoes until there are holes in the sole or my toe is sticking out of body of the shoe.
- Fitness gear. I buy quality gear but I don't pay regular price because ain't nobody got time fo' dat. Instead, I'll keep an eye out at Winners (and even those prices aren't so great most of the time) or I'll wait for big blow-out sales like end of season, back to school, Boxing day, black Friday, Cyber Monday, President's day, July 4th, Columbus day, Memorial day. Yes my American friends, I know when your good sales are.
- Books. I used to buy books all the time but then smartened up and got meself a library card because shit is free at the library...and you can't get a better price than free.
Things on the Splurge list:
- Skin products. While I may balk at a $20 shirt, I won't even hesitate dropping $300+ on skin care or skin treatments because I don't wake up like this everyday, folks...this shit takes time and maintenance and if all those things will prevent me from looking like a shrivelled ballsack, shut up and take my money.
- Makeup. I've tried to go low budge on the makeup but I found that the quality just isn't good enough. My eyeliner costs $32 but can weather a hurricane and all of those other drug store brands (and I've tried them all), the liner just disappears after an hour. Who has time to keep reapplying? I certainly don't. With my Nars liner, I just swipe it on at 7am and it lasts all day.
- Fitness. The amount I spend on fitness classes/the gym/yoga etc is beyond stupid but it keeps me healthy, keeps me in shape and I can't think of a better way to spend money if you have to.
- Craft stuff. I try and save as much as I can through coupons etc but if I want it and there are no coupons or the shit never goes on sale or the products are excluded from the coupons (I'm looking at you, Silhouette products), then I'll hand over my credit card with no problem.
What are some of your save vs splurge items?