Back on track - Week 1 Update

12:00 AM

(oh, how I wish meal prep were like this!)

Jan 2, 2017 was the start of getting back to my healthy eating and it's been awesome.  It's amazing how a disciplined routine of eating healthy and exercise positively affects your body.

So how have I been doing so far?  Fantastic, thanks for asking.  It's only been a week and I've already lost 2lbs so I'm nearly back at my pre-holiday weight....all from cutting out the holiday snacking and sugary junk.

But I do miss that sugary junk and delicious treats #keepingitreal.

+ Since buying my yoga groupon, I've been using the fuck out of it and going twice a week doing either power yoga or core conditioning classes and I love it.  If I could go more, I would but there are only 7 days of the week and a body can only handle so many workouts.  All other days I'm at Muay Thai killing it; as in killing it so hard that the newbies hate holding pads for me. I can see the look of dismay when they see me step in front of them. Hey, if you're going to hold pads, I'm going to hit them.

+ I decided to do yoga for a while to balance out the intensity of muay thai and the reason why I'm doing this is because I'm starting to think that I'm overdoing it on the exercise and it's affecting my period; as in I'm one of those women who has likely exercised her period away (and it's not perimenopause after all).  Why do I think this?  Because all of December wasn't as intense as other months due to the gym being closed for days at a time and my attendance inconsistent due to family events so instead of training 5 days a week, I was only training 2 or 3 days a week....and then my period comes on time and it's normal.

The results of my bloodwork shows normal hormone (FSH) levels so I did the math and put two and two together.  My doc and acupuncturist also seem to think it's my exercise levels so I just got my bloodwork redone to be 100% sure so we'll see what the results say.

+ Starting weight: 132lbs (Jan 2).
Current weight: 130lbs (Jan 10). Getting there!  only 3lbs to go.

Note: I never go by weight since it's not as accurate but since nothing else changed (pants size, body fat%), this is the only element I can use to gauge my progress.

+ Eating:  the same as usual....lean proteins, lots of veggies, some fruit, squashes/potatoes etc.  I pretty much eat the same thing every day for breakfast and lunch; the only variance are my dinners and while I'm eating clean, I'm not cutting out the things that bring me pleasure like creamer in my coffee, cheese or wine.... I'm just not indulging in the sweets/desserts/treats like I was in December.

Here's one of my favourite ways to make chicken breast - it's so easy and fast:
  • Preheat oven to 450F and line baking sheet with foil.
  • Brine chicken breasts for 15mins in warm water and sea salt.
  • Pat dry with paper towels.
  • In a small bowl, mix together the following spices:  sea salt, pepper, paprika, a dash of chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder.
  • Brush olive oil onto each side. You can use butter if you wish but I avoid the extra calories and use virgin olive oil.
  • (Generously) sprinkle the spice mix onto each side of the meat.
  • Bake for 15-18mins; remove from oven and let sit for 15mins before cutting into the meat.
I make a batch of this and use the meat for whatever I please - salads, on its own etc and I store it in the fridge for up to 4 days.



Are you currently doing a post-holiday detox?


You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I see you are killing it over here as usual lol. Great job. I do chicken like that every week just about too but have never brined, definitely trying that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That chicken sounds delish!
    Totally makes sense with exercise and your period. My is so, so effected by my stress. It got weird back when we got married. It gets weird when we have off months money-wise. And it gets weird during holiday stress. Ha. Thank God for yoga, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! This sounds like you've not messed around one bit! This chicken sounds rad.. is it more or less equal parts of the non chili powder ingredients? I want to try it for sure!! Our eating has been ok-ish this year so far. But more importantly, we've been doing yoga nightly. Which for us is great progress for us! YAS. Also, sleeping better... because new mattress. Feeling good about the progress so far. We got KC a paper planner, because he was feeling disorganized. It's some kind of men's health thing, so he's tracking water and workouts. Which is a good start for him, we were very lack luster on the exercise front last year.. and several years before. Hoping to keep up the motivation together. XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, that chicken sounds delicious! I cook it in a similar way except for the brining - so I'm going to try that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That chicken looks so good, and easy for when you have zero time in the morning to grab something for lunch! I've been wanting to get more into yoga -- I wish they had some type of group pass for some down here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know that I need to do a weekly meal prep but my lazy ass cannot get in gear to do it. I just take every day as it comes.

    My gym offers pilates and since I can't make the yoga classes, I'm definitely going to be taking advantage of those. It's a nice balance to the strength training I've been doing. I do need to work some more cardio in, though. That's where I'm lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That chicken looks bomb. Definitely going to get my ass back in gear and do some meal prep this weekend for next week. I didn't reach my diet goals this week but I did get in two runs and a workout which is much more than I've done in the past month so I'm on the right track. Cheers to another week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The top meal prep looks amazing! But I don't think that would be very beneficial in the end I suppose. However your chicken recipe sounds amazing I'm gonna have to give that a try this week!

    ReplyDelete