Weekending & Shizz [12-19]

  • December 19, 2016
  • By Kathy@MoreCoffeeLessTalky
  • 17 Comments


And so begins the craziness of the holidays - jam packed weekends, potlucks, lots of food and drinks and late bedtimes.

+ Christmas potluck #1 down; only eleventy billion more to go.

+ Speaking of the holiday food, I gained 5lbs.  FIVE POUNDS. So did my husband and we were both OMG, NO! but we both know what was (is?) the culprit - a little holiday treat here, a little holiday chocolate there, oh look, holiday cupcakes!, mmmm, mint chocolate errting!  Basically, this:


This is the first holiday since 2012 that I've let myself indulge like a normal human being and I forgot how good it felt to eat all the things. Now I just need to dial it back....I mean, do I really need to taste that pie? But pie.....

+ We Canadian'd so hard yesterday -- we went snow shoeing! My usual Sunday muay thai sessions have been postponed until January because everyone wants to "take time off for the holidays" yet here I am thinking "but the holidays just means more time to workout, amirite?".  I think I'm the only one who thinks this #rude.
I was pretty bummed about not being able to exercise yesterday (breaking the routine feels weird) so my husband brought home some snow shoes for me to try and we trekked along the trails in ankle-deep snow and -12C temps (it was awesome).  Could we be any more Canadian?


+ Stopped by the local bakery so my husband could grab a coffee and ohmygod look at all the baked treats that I wanted to stuff into my facehole.  This is an incredible little shop; everything is made from scratch with all fresh/local ingredients and we selected a Dutch Apple Pie for the inlaws' dinner yesterday evening #nomfuckingnom.


+ Watched The Family Stone.  You bitches did not tell me it was a sad movie and I cried like a baby while my husband peeked around the corner wondering who died.


+ My dining room has been the bane of my existence...mainly because it's turned into a dumping ground for all things random. I'll come home from the gym or work and drop my bag onto the floor, hang my hand wraps all over the chairs to air out and then walk away and forget about it.  My husband isn't any different; his cycling stuff is all over the dining room and we both hate looking at what has become our dining room.
Then I hear rummaging upstairs and when I look up, he's standing at the top with this unit:
I dug out some old bins and voila! organizing unit! My stuff is on the left, his is on the right.

How was your weekend?

You Might Also Like

17 comments

  1. Genius idea for the dining room. It's also our dumping ground and I HATE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we have a dumping ground for things. Ours is the kitchen table. Sounds like you had fun Canada-info it up with your snow shoes!!! Give me all those baked goodies, yum!!!! I'm pretty sure I told you family stone made me cry. But everything does these days so you probably ignored me lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that idea for the dining room! That's where all of my stuff gets dumped too. I've still never seen The Family Stone & now you have me all scared to watch it because I cry at movies all the freaking time as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been snowshoeing...literally every time I've made plans to go there has been a snow storm and we've had to cancel. One of these days plans will work out and I'll get to go! That bakery looks amazing...one of everything please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey - I did tell you I bawled my eyes out watching it last week so I gave fair warning ;) That end just chokes me up EVERY TIME.
    I dont even want to know how much weight I've gained over the holidays. I'll see soon enough on January 1st.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I snowshoed in Alaska...it's a lot of fun if you can put up with the cold.
    Three cheers for a husband who helps organize things on his own...that always makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh girl, I am all about that organization. LOVE IT! I need to conquer clutter like a mad woman post-xmas week off.. for serious. Snowshoeing is awesome! I wish we would have done it in Quebec on our honeymoon...alas we did not. We got some snow this weekend... but it didn't even make the trees pretty. It did give us a bit of ice (ick) with about 3-4 inches of snow on top. Meh.. ok. We took it as a reason to stay in ALL WEEKEND. I kid you not... I left my apartment ZERO times. It was awesome. Cooking, cleaning, movie watching, reading... board game playing. YAASSS! It was the best. Um the Family Stone is sad, but it's so darn cute. I would like to be Claire Danes please. It has a lot of heart. Hope you liked it even though it was sad! Is it creepy if I ask where this bakery is...?! Um yeah... holiday treat indulging is real... yikes. I already don't eat the best ... whoops! At least I skip the really crappy junk. Like grocery store bakery cupcakes with a foot of frosting. Nah. Pre-packaged goodies at parties... no thanks... etc. It helps a bit I think. Good to be mindful all the same. XO - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, the holidays make me crave all the pies. My in-law's are weird and don't like dessert, so I have to bring my own to gatherings. Dessert is like 50% of my holiday meal excitement. Our whole apartment is like a dumping ground, because we have probably 600 sq ft haha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I've always "let myself indulge" but as I stated in my post today, the last year I went OVERBOARD. 5lbs turned into TWENTY FIVE! HOT DAMN. So...dialing it back...ALL THE WAY.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely a nice way to organize! I'm so bad with holiday treats too. I really need to watch it, but I feel like I'm not doing TOO terrible. Sigh. Who knows? haha

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those organizers! They work super well for classy toy stashing aka I am not really cleaning this shit up again am I?

    Family Stone is brilliant and I cry every. Single. Time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our kitchen table is a dumping ground. Hate it! I love that organization you got going now.

    Holidays are the best / worst because of all the treats. Oy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cute idea for storage! We usually use our dining room table as a dumping grounds for everything too! Drives me nuts, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it. I want all of those baked goods. And it looks like y'all had fun being uber-Canadian!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel you on the holiday food. I am counting down the days until 100% structure returns to my eating habits...14. You guys are so cute though, totes jellie! Great idea for the dining room. Mine is a catch all too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When we were looking at houses, I wanted a formal dining room and now I am so glad we don't have one because it definitely would be a dumping ground. Our front room is the child's personal storage unit for all her cheerleading shit but I just yell a whole lot and she moves it. I don't know that it's worth a whole storage unit but we definitely need something for shoes.

    Name of that bakery, please, because we need to eat all the things when we're in Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never been snowshoeing, but I absolutely love the idea of it! Yes, it's such a northern/Canadian/Alaskan thing to do! Your snowshoeing pics are really beautiful with all the snow clinging in the trees.

    In terms of holiday goodies - I've been tiptoeing through a freakin' food minefield for 4 weeks. On more than one occasion, I have walked into the workroom at work to find a plate of goodies and I've done a 180 and walked straight back out. Virtual minefield. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man, The Family Stone is sad but so so so good!!
    Our dumping ground is the kitchen counter/dining room chairs. Ugh. Someday we'll have one of those cute mudroom type set ups, ha.

    I love the snow shoes! I've never done that before!

    ReplyDelete